|Low GI||Medium GI||High GI|
|0-55||56-69||70 or greater|
Table: Low glycemic foods with their glycemic values [24, 25]:
|Low glycemic foods||Estimated Glycemic load(per serving size)||Low glycemic foods||Estimated Glycemic load(per serving size|
|Okra,cooked,boiled,drained,with salt||2||Low fat cheese||5|
|Blueberries||6||Milk(fat free and skim)||9|
|Strawerries||3||Yogurt,plain,lowfat,12 grams protien per 8 ounce||10|
|Berry fruit||Flavonid type|
|Blueberries||Quercetin and myricetin|
|Cranberries||Quercetin and myricetin|
|Black grapes||Epicatechin and catechin|
|Blackberries||Epicatechin and catechin|
|Raspberries||Anthocyanidins and cyanidin|
|Cherries||Anthocyanidins and cyanidin|
|Red Grapes||Anthocyanidins and cyanidin|
|Strawberries||Quercetin, Epicatechin and catechin|
Low fat yogurt/dairy:
- Mayo Clinic: Diseases and Conditions-Diabetes
- Wikipedia: Diabetes mellitus
- world healthiest foods: What is the Glycemic Index?
- Canadian journal of diabetes: Modulatory Effects of Diosgenin on Attenuating the Key Enzymes Activities of Carbohydrate Metabolism and Glycogen Content in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats
- Pub Med: 4-Hydroxyisoleucine improves hepatic insulin resistance by restoring glycogen synthesis in vitro.
- PubMed: Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030.
- APJTD: Antidiabetic effects of Momordica charantia (bitter melon) and its medicinal potency
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology: Hypoglycemic effect of bitter melon compared with metformin in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes patients
- PubMed: Evaluation of indigenous grains from the Peruvian Andean region for antidiabetes and antihypertension potential using in vitro methods.
- LIFE EXTENSION MAGAZINE: Quinoa A Complete, Gluten-Free Protein
- PubMed: Total antioxidant capacity and starch digestibility of muffins baked with rice, wheat, oat, corn and barley flour.
- PubMed: Clinical assessment of dietary interventions and lifestyle modifications in Madhumeha (type- 2 Diabetes Mellitus).
- PubMed:Effect of consumption of finger millet on hyperglycemia in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) subjects.
- PMC:Health benefits of finger millet (Eleusine coracana L.) polyphenols and dietary fiber: a review.
- PMC:Antidiabetic and Cytotoxicity Screening of Five Medicinal Plants Used by Traditional African Health Practitioners in the Nelson Mandela Metropole, South Africa
- Bio Med Central-The Open Acess Publisher:Antioxidant, antidiabetic and hypolipidemic effects of Tulbaghia violacea Harv. (wild garlic) rhizome methanolic extract in a diabetic rat model
- Internalize Medicine:Can Okra Cure Diabetes?
- PubMed:First identification of α-glucosidase inhibitors from okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) seeds.
- PubMed:Dietary flavonoid intakes and risk of type 2 diabetes in US men and women.
- LIVE STRONG.COM:List of Foods With Flavonoids
- PMC:Glycemic indices of five varieties of dates in healthy and diabetic subjects
- PubMed:Evaluation of the Effects of Cornus mas L. Fruit Extract on Glycemic Control and Insulin Level in Type 2 Diabetic Adult Patients: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial.
- PubMed:Dietary dairy product intake and incident type 2 diabetes: a prospective study using dietary data from a 7-day food diary.
- SELFNutritionData:Nutrition Facts
Ref: - http://embryophytes.com/diabetes-prevention-and-care